Chris and I hosted an annual pastor's Labor Day party yesterday. We decided to roast a pig. Why not? Before putting it on the spit, Chris and I stabbed it with a meat injector (gag!) and had to drag it around in a tarp because it was too heavy to lift. It turned out great (thankfully), but it was a lot of work. I hope that everyone enjoyed the day. I know that we did!
Laura posted some pictures on her blog too.
14 comments:
The meat injector was the worst part, Erin?! Excuse me?! AHHH!!!
I came here to say "YES we enjoyed the day!!!!" but now I have to poke fun at the nurse who doesn't seem to think the meat injector was the worst part...
We also didn't eat our patients after we injected them with medication (or butter or flavor, in your case)!
I am weak-stomached when it comes to cooking meat that still resembles it's live state. I will have to get over that, I guess, when our economy crumbles and I'm forced to live off the land, right Susan?
Lord have mercy. Come Lord Jesus.
Nice shot of the piggies FACE!
It's a little, umm... graphic, but it looks like it tasted really good! (Did you put an apple in his mouth?)
Kristen, my brain knows what it should about butchering animals, but I don't know if my stomach could take it. If I had to do the killing, I fear that I might become a vegetarian. Hey, isn't that what men are for??? Doing the killing to keep us and our babies fed?
No apple, EC.
And graphic? Man, you should've seen all those homeschooled kids (and previously-homeschooled kids) checking out the parts! Plenty of curious people there yesterday.
Hi Susan,
Ask Miss Kristen how she feels about cutting up a chicken or seeing Cornish hens on a spit. Then after you ask her about that, have her tell you about orthopedic surgery which she talks graphically to her father about (as the surgeons have similar tools to Jim's and just as large), and her mother the orthopedic floor nurse, is so grossed out she leaves the room!
We can make a deal. In the commune we'll set up, we'll find some man to kill, skin, and gut things, and then I can cut up the meat or put it on a spit. Kristin can take care of the medical things that make me want to barf. So, does Charles have any more experience killing things than Gary does?
If I were a diabetic and had to stick needles into myself, it's possible that I would go into a diabetic coma before jabbing medicine into my own muscles. And the idea of shooting up drugs? Oh gosh, in high school they taught us how bad that was... but I nearly swooned just at the thought of finding a vein in my own arm ... blech!
One of the things that terrifies me into trying to eat healthfully is the thought of developing diabetes and having to inject myself like my grandpa and great-grandma did!
Mother, Honey, remember how I felt about orthopedic surgeries? I didn't like them. I chose to help with general surgeries. Mmm hmm.
Ladies, it's a blessing that you're so concerned with needles that you'll eat healthy food to stear clear of them and avoid illegal drugs. Good. Not that you needed me to tell you that.
Susan, Charles does have some experience killing animals, but not much field-dressing them. We'll employ the trial-by-error method, I suppose.
Hey, anyone notice Pastor B's pink apron? Nice, Pastor B. Nice.
Mr C would definitely be able to kill and gut and whatever other gory things are involved. I can help with just about anything else. except for washing dishes. i surely don't enjoy that.
and no kidding about all those tools. when my dad has his knee done and re-done they talked about all that stuff. BLECH!
Angela,
That's funny that you have volunteered to help with "anything else", because you were specifically mentioned during the party. Something about you being seriously grossed out after having to remove the giblet bag from inside your turkey last Thanksgiving! But no worries...I'll do the dishes if you stab the pig with marinade next time! :)
LOL!! well, i'll elaborate a little.
i'd never seen anyone take the turkey out of the shrink wrap. as it was usually just my mom and dad and i for those types of meals, we usually had ham.
so, this year i decided to host thanksgiving at our apt for my folks, and mr c's folks and grandma.
i thawed the turkey and all that jazz, and it came time to cut off the shrink wrap to put it in the roasting pan, and there was enough blood to turn the water in the sink pink. BLECH! i thought i was gonna toss my cookies. i just wasn't expecting it.
mr c was still asleep, and i yelled for him to come take care of the neck and the giblet bag. i just couldn't handle it. i think i'll do better this year...maybe.
wv: unmerti - the way i felt when i saw the blood in the sink.
Erin, it was a great day! The piggy was delicious, and we sure enjoyed those leftovers! I never could get Rachel to eat any though... :-) Thanks for a relaxing and very enjoyable day!
Post a Comment