18 October 2009

Native American Study


Our Native American meal included venison and the three sisters (corn--in the form of corn cakes, beans, and squash).

Learning about traditional Cherokee pottery at the Cherokee Indian Oconalufee Village in North Carolina. On a whim we decided to visit the reservation. The girls really enjoyed being able to meet a "real Indian" and the tour was informative. It was a highlight of North Carolina for them.

A picture of a mock Cherokee Tribal Council at the Village.

A model of how the Cherokee built their homes after the European settlers came.


We finished our Native American Unit on Friday and celebrated with a themed meal. It isn't my favorite part of history to study, but the girls enjoyed it. I guess that is all that matters. I would have to say the best part of our unit was being able to visit some of the people and places we read about in books. I wish I had the resources to always study history like this! Look Claire the Coliseum! Lily, there is the Great Wall of China!

The Cherokee Indian Reservation was hard to swallow for the adults. It was just so sad. Every stereotype that we hear about Native Americans was pictured in that place--"Casino Just Ahead", unkempt grounds, and a people who don't take themselves or life too seriously. Can I blame them? Yes and no. History was very, very cruel to their people, but I do believe that at some point everyone needs take responsibility for themselves, their family and community today.

No comments: